but, bbygrl, why a tura satana appreciation day?
[tw : rape]
- she’s a total babe. duh.
- she’s japanese, filipino, cheyenne + irish.
- she was simultaneously a straight-a student in school while being viciously bullied for her heritage + size and punished by her parents for getting into fights. i mean, even without the straight a’s, she was strong and endured feeling isolated at home and at school.
- she’s a fellow rape survivor — “Walking home from school at the age of nine she was gang raped by five men. According to Satana, her attackers were never prosecuted and it was rumored that the judge had been paid off. She tells how this prompted her to learn the martial arts of aikido and karate and, over the next 15 years, track down each rapist and exact revenge. ’I made a vow to myself that I would someday, somehow get even with all of them’, she said years later. ‘They never knew who I was until I told them.’”
- she began living on her own at the age of 13, after her parents married her to a 17-year old and she wasn’t having that bullshit. i can’t even imagine what that was like.
- she was an extremely successful burlesque dancer, and even when she got pregnant at 19 she danced through the first eight months of her pregnancy! and yeah, she still made BANK.
- faster pussycat! kill! kill! — a cult classic john waters apparently calls the greatest movie ever made. i still haven’t seen it, but from what i’ve read it portrays the three female leads (tura satana is the LEAD lead) in positions or power that normally men are portrayed in, and that’s allll the way back in the 60’s. she did all her own stunts and fight scenes. the majority of satana’s styling and one-liners, and some additional key concepts of the film, were satana’s own doing.
- after being shot by a former lover and staying in a hospital, she decided to study nursing and she did just that. she even briefly worked as the dispatcher for the lapd.
tura satana passed away on 2/4/2011, but she’s still amazing and one of my inspirations as a woc, especially as a mixed-race asian rape survivor struggling to embrace my sexuality. <3 and that’s why i’m giving her her own day! just who she was makes me feel good about me.
all facts taken from tura satana’s wikipedia page
"Alternative R&B must die" FKA Twigs speaks out on racism in the music industry through genre-specifying:
"When I first released music and no one knew what I looked like, I would read comments like: ‘I’ve never heard anything like this before, it’s not in a genre,’” she continued. “And then my picture came out six months later, now she’s an R&B singer. I share certain sonic threads with classical music; my song “Preface” is like a hymn. So let’s talk about that. If I was white and blonde and said I went to church all the time, you’d be talking about the ‘choral aspect’. But you’re not talking about that because I’m a mixed-race girl from south London."
*edit* someone pointed out to me later on that i had ableist words in here. i already got rid of the powerpoint on my computer (it was taking up space) so i cant change it i would have to rewrite it. the best i can do is say im deeply sorry for using those words
I feel there should be some info about how the existence of systematic oppression, power structures, etc. make the “playing field” hugely uneven between the oppressors and the oppressed and makes the common “you’re just as bad!!1” retort pointless. But these are some good basics.
note: i have 11 different versions of my resume
because you should not be sending out the same resume to every job
unless you are applying for the exact same position
take the time to customize your resume’s
employers can smell a resume created…
Tip for all my student readers: if you’re too lazy to use a bibliography creator like NoodleBib or RefWorks, let Google generate your bibliography entries for you. All you have to do is google the article/book title in Google Scholar, click “cite” at the bottom of the search result, and copy either the MLA, APA, or Chicago cite into your word document.
Signal boost because omg how did I not know this in college?
Since registration is starting soon I figure this is ample time to remind the six people who look at my Tumblr that citing your sources is really important in college and that this will be your best friend forever.
If you’re in high school and want to go to college? Learn to source! You’ll be way ahead of the curve and it’s 100% more important than knowing what the hell a predicate nominative is.
I use http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/ to figure out how to cite for my papers, and it’s been quite useful for the three years I’ve been at this!
im crying i have this project due in two days and i didnt do tgis yet ho y fuckl
foods dangerous to dogs:
- raw bread dough
- grapes and raisins
- onions and garlic
- macadamia nuts
- raw salmon
- xylitol (artificial sweeteners)
if you have a dog please reblog thisYou don’t need to have a dog, everyone just reblog this maybe ok yes
I’ve said this before and I’ll point it out again -
Menstruation is caused by change in hormonal levels to stop the creation of a uterine lining and encourage the body to flush the lining out. The body does this by lowering estrogen levels and raising testosterone.
Or, to put it more plainly “That time of the month” is when female hormones most closely resemble male hormones. So if (cis) women aren’t suited to office at “That time of the month” then (cis) men are NEVER suited to office.
If you are a dude and don’t dig the ladies around you at their time of the month, just think! That is you all of the time.
And, on a final note, post-menopausal (cis) women are the most hormonally stable of all human demographics. They have fewer hormonal fluctuations of anyone, meaning older women like Hilary Clinton and Elizabeth Warren would theoretically be among the least likely candidates to make an irrational decision due to hormonal fluctuations, and if we were basing our leadership decisions on hormone levels, then only women over fifty should ever be allowed to hold office."
Eat THAT, hormone-snipers!